Backend Engineer II
Backend Engineer IIYes Energy, LLC
As a Backend Engineer for our Trading Analytics team, you will play a key role in growing and innovating our highly performant, data-intensive analytical toolkit. You will apply your analytical skills in several areas including:
- Designing and building services that explore the complex data of the electrical grid
- Creating an improving database architecture and frameworks with a focus on maintainability and high performance
- Database development in support of internal applications and automated software testing
This position offers you an opportunity to develop greater knowledge of SaaS businesses, energy markets, and the evolving power grid, while applying and developing technical skills with one of the most creative and hard-working staff in the industry. We are curious people who take pride in our work, value high-quality communication, and strive to continuously improve.
- Would like to design, develop, analyze and troubleshoot PL/SQL code.
- Are passionate about tuning systems for exceptional performance
- Have a track record of implementing complex business logic through complex database models and clear APIs - We love our customers and we love to give them a high-quality user experience!
- Love to mentor junior staff for development of their skills in technology, problem solving, communication, and customer service
- Want to be part of a collaborative Agile Software Development team designing solutions to complex problems that will impact the future of our ever evolving electrical grid
- Experience with Oracle PL/SQL
- Experience with Tomcat or other Java-based middleware
- Energy industry experience or experience in equities/commodities trading
- Experience with a compiled language such as Java, C#, or Go
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies
- Ensure highest possible quality and integrity of Yes Energy services; recommend and implement ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality
- Develop and maintain database stored procedures, views and functions for Yes Energy applications
- Maintain database packages, procedures, views, metadata systems and related internal tools
- Design and write API endpoints to serve our single-page data analytics application
- Contribute to technical departmental standards in such areas as change control, configuration management, development methodology, and coding standards
- Create and maintain technical documentation
- Learn and develop technical skills in all areas of the stack
- Monitor new technologies and solutions for their possible fit in Yes Energy technical stack
- Mentor junior developers and improve technical knowledge across the company
- Reports to Engineering Manager
- Minimal travel may be required (up to 10 days per year)
Yes Energy delivers real-time market data and electric power trading decision solutions. Over 1,000 market participants use Yes Energy solutions daily. The business is a leader in all aspects of information content collection and management, as well as in developing and delivering data and market analytics solutions. Since its inception in 2008 Yes Energy has become a trusted and respected supplier of innovative and reliable solutions focused on the needs of power market analysts, traders and trade managers. Yes Energy has a team of over 100 amazing professionals located in Boulder, CO (HQ), Boston, MA and Chicago, IL.
- We love innovation and solving tough challenges;
- We are “high standards people” who combine passion and pride with hard work and rewards of all kinds- in an ethic that is consistent across the company;
- We’re team-focused with a flat hierarchy- we work in small teams on well-defined projects that directly impact the success of the business;
- We play to the strengths and experience of each person, while each of us also works along a continuum of roles adjacent to our focus area. This presents a challenge of maintaining a broad set of skills as well as an opportunity to learn and contribute in many ways;
- We are constantly growing. Professional development happens every day and every year.