Vice President - Real Estate Development & Construction
Vice President - Real Estate Development & ConstructionAlexandria Real Estate Equities
Boston, MA 02215
Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc. (NYSE:ARE), an S&P 500® urban office REIT, is the first and longest-tenured owner, operator, and developer uniquely focused on collaborative life science, technology and agtech campuses in AAA innovation cluster locations. Founded in 1994, Alexandria pioneered this niche and has since established a significant market presence in key locations, including Greater Boston, San Francisco, New York City, San Diego, Seattle, Maryland, and Research Triangle. Alexandria is known for its high-quality and diverse tenant base. The company has a longstanding and proven track record of developing Class A properties clustered in urban life science, technology, and agtech campuses that provide its innovative tenants with highly dynamic and collaborative environments that enhance their ability to successfully recruit and retain world-class talent and inspire productivity, efficiency, creativity, and success.
We are seeking a Vice President – Real Estate Development & Construction in our Greater Boston Office. This individual shall be an integral part of the Company’s development, construction services division and work within a fast-paced, growth-oriented environment. The Vice President – Real Estate Development & Construction shall be part of a team dedicated to carrying out the Greater Boston region’s operating vision, and committed to assuring first-in-class project execution, to included, but not limited to project quality, meeting approved budgets and scheduled deadlines, and exceeding the expectations of the Company’s tenants and shareholders. This individual shall be self-directed and motivated, capable of resolving complex issues in a timely manner consistent with the Company’s goals and objectives.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions, marital or registered domestic partner status, family-care status, veteran or military status, age, national origin or ancestry, disability, medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the Company’s development, build-to-suit, expansion, conversion, capital improvement and tenant improvement projects at its office/laboratory properties located within the region. Management may include oversight of joint venture development projects.
- Manage the coordination of design and construction activities to include, but not limited to, architect, contractor and consultant solicitation, selection and contracting, design and construction document review, and construction management and administration.
- Develop and manage project budgets and schedules; Complete projects in accordance with Company approved budgets and schedules.
- Implement, manage and confirm the tenant’s and Company’s obligations as detailed in its lease and work letter agreements for assigned projects.
- Manage, communicate and interact with the Company’s tenants, contractors, architects, consultants, and other project team members.
- Oversee, manage and direct outsource development and/or construction management consultant services and activities as the project requires.
- Develop a high performance internal and/or external team through supervision, training, coaching, and mentoring.
- Manage the successful completion and close-out of construction projects to assure project completion, tenant occupancy and rent commencement required dates are met.
- Manage consultant and contractor payment applications, including review of invoices for conformance with contract documents.
- Administer the collection of acceptable certificates of insurance, lien waivers and other required project documents, process consultant and contractor payments, monitor tenant improvement allowance budgets, and maintain project files.
- Prepare Project Status and Performance Reports.
- Manage the region Cash Usage Reports (i.e. cash flow and capital spending forecasting analyses).
- Provide general support to other Operating Divisions of the Company as needed.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum fifteen (15) years of practical working experience in the development, construction or real estate industry related fields with a demonstrated strong project and construction management background with successful execution on multiple construction types from ground-up core and shell design and construction, to execution and delivery of tenant improvements to complex capital improvements. Experience with design and construction of laboratory and/or Cambridge/Boston City urban mid-to-high rise office projects is desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree, required. MBA or higher is desirable.
- Experience and knowledge working with Boston area architects, consultants and contractors is desirable.
- Working experience with unions and subcontractor trades, and knowledge of current market pricing is desirable.
- Specific working experience and knowledge of Building and Fire Department codes and regulations is desirable.
- Ability and desire to travel as necessary to meet project goals and objectives is a requirement.
- Oral and written communications are required with demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to interact both internally with other Company members, and externally with tenants, contractors, architects, consultants and other project team members.
- Computer proficient skills with strong experience in spreadsheet preparation and a working knowledge of all Microsoft Office Products, including Excel, Word and Project.